CAN TINTURÉ MUSEUM

HISTORY

The historic building Can Tinturé is set in the historic centre of Esplugues , in a house surrounded by gardens, built in 1898 by the architect Claudi Duran Ventosa, considered one of the pioneers of the reinforced concrete construction system. The house was built as a family residence commissioned by its first owner, John Tinturé Campreciós, who was alderman and mayor of Esplugues between 1910 and 1915.

Can Tinturé is the first tile monographic museum in Spain and exposes pieces produced from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century.
>

In 1977 the building was purchased by the City of Esplugues and has had different use of cultural and social types over time. In 2000 – on the occasion of the acquisition of the collection of sample tiles by Salvador Miquel – its suitability as a museum site was decided.

dfdsfdsf

In the process of rehabilitation original features of the historic building were highlighted with the adoption of innovative elements, which give an air of modernity to the architecture of the late nineteenth century.

On the day of Sant Jordi 2003 Can Tinturé Museum was opened the first monographic museum dedicated to Spanish tile samples. The opening of the new museum also meant public access to the gardens surrounding the house. In the garden the sculpture of artist Xavier Corberó was placed, composed of a set of five pieces of basalt.

In front of Can Tinturé stands The Masoveria, the only new building with auxiliary functions. The glass façade allows its integration into the grounds, while the other façade gives urban continuity with Esglèsia Street, sites and Urban environment Can Tinturé obtained, in 2004, a special mention for the action taken in the context of recognition of quality of municipal facilities and public spaces of the Barcelona Provincial Council.

Salvador Miquel

Salvador Miquel was born in the Barceloneta, district March 17, 1900. His youth was spent in a rich and vibrant cultural environment. His father, Antonio i Miguel Pardo, pioneered numerous cultural initiatives promoted in the neighborhood.

He began his collection of sample tiles between 1921 and 1922. Sample tiles are understood as those ceramic pieces, usually showing a geometric, repeating pattern that allows it to infinitely develop the model . This type of tiles were designed so that they could cover large areas.

Salvador Miguel recovered tiles from the rubble of the kitchens and dining rooms of the houses of La Barceloneta and the old town. Some pieces which were difficult to find were also acquired through antique shops.

Driven by his desire to study and publicize the importance of sample tiles, Salvador Miquel announced his collection in a permanent exhibition in Can Ros, Vallromanes, known as the Rajoloteca, during the years 1971 – 1999, a selection of which is on show today in Can Tinturé.

In 2003, the Esplugues Llobregat Councils opened the Can Tinturé Museum, which a present contains the Salvador Miquel Sample tile Collection.

This post is also available in: Catalan Spanish